It happened at Sunset Beach in Orange County, California. I had driven down there early in the morning to go surfing, and an amazing day of surfing it was. A thing that really appealed to me about that day was how empty the beach was. It was during the middle of the week, like on a Tuesday or Wednesday, and almost nobody was out on that day - I basically had a nice chunk of the beach all to myself.
After surfing and relaxing on the sand for several hours, I grabbed my surfboard and started walking down the beach to where I parked my car. As I was walking, I noticed a girl sunbathing on the beach, with a beautiful dalmatian dog jumping around near her. I stopped near where the dalmatian was playing, just to check it out, and within minutes of doing so, a man approached me. We entered into a polite conversation. To be honest, I really can't remember what we talked about at first.
What I do remember though, is a certain question that he asked me. He asked me, "Have you heard of my band?" When I asked him what the name of his band was, he replied, "Sublime." I was standing on the beach, taking to Bradley Nowell of Sublime. It was him, his girlfriend or wife or friend (I'm not really sure) lying nearby, his dog, and me... with nobody else around! I didn't really know who he was at the time, although the name of his band sounded familiar to me. I didn't realize that I was standing next to a musical genius, and someone who would be immortalized into the Southern California music/surfing scene.
After he told me about his band, we began talking about the surf conditions for that day. I remember him saying, "If there was only a good swell, today would be epic." Shortly after that, he excused himself and went to his house, which was near the beach, to get his surfboard. He then hit the waves. As I began to walk back to my car, I remember watching him and seeing him catch a wave and ride it into shore. He was a good surfer.
True story.
No comments:
Post a Comment